Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Backyard General ~

Hello!!  I promised to be back today with the hubby’s birthday card, and that is one promise I can keep!  Ha!  I have had the hardest time making something for my hubby in a while.  I just don’t think anything is good enough or will relate to him in the way I want.  I literally made this for him on the morning of his birthday…I sent him off to work with no card and no present!  Poor guy!  lol
This is the Backyard General from Saturated Canary.  I bought him because of this picture of my son
            IMG_6403  and this too  IMG_9474
Hubby served in the Army back in the 80’s, so everything for my son is Army and guns and grenades, etc.  He idolizes his dad!  And I love that.  He is also the perpetual man child…in fact, we’re getting ready to head to the skate park, more because hubby wants to than anything else!
sat canary general d bday
Yesterday I posted a card that took me 8 minutes and 37 seconds to finish.  This one took me more like 2 hours 30 minutes!  Part of that is because I was searching the net for pics of how to color camo.  Ha!  This uses the August Sketch for You to Try.  Here’s a little close up of the coloring
sat canary general d bday d
The camo was super easy!  I just shaded the jacket like normal and then added some squiggles with a dark brown and a couple darker olive-y greens. 
This completely depicts my son.  No matter what he’s wearing, he almost always has some camo on somewhere!  Also, we had to make a rule that no more sticks come in the house…if they’re gun sticks, put them on top of the hot tub or something so the dogs don’t chew them, but they stay outside!  lol
I still think this card is a bit kiddish to give to my hubby, but he liked it anyway!  Thanks so much for stopping by today!  I hope you all are having a wonderful week!  :o) lyss

7 comments:

Cristin Fransen said...

Great card, beautiful work! Happy Bday, Doug! Enjoy your day of celebration as a fam! Zane is a doll!!! 5 this month or next or Oct? :) Sometime real soon! Love to you and your fam!

Julie E said...

What amazing coloring!!! The stars work great with this sketch...need to get that one done still :>)

Leigh Ann Baird said...

Freaking awesome! You are my idol!

Niki Estes said...

This is so cute! Your coloring is just beautiful and I love the sketch and patterned papers you chose.

Mary J said...

They are so cute and so if your card Alyssa! Fab use of the papers!

Chris said...

very awesome card!! love the camo!

lostinpaper said...

This card is amazing... and I just adore your colouring, especially the camo jacket, it's genius! I'm pinning it (I've just started my pin addiction, isn't it wonderful)!