Friday, April 15, 2011

CSAYL: Markers Down {GASP!!!} ~

Hey all!  Time for the next Christmas Stampin' All Year Long challenge!  This week we are sponsored by the fabulous In Style Stamps.  A randomly chosen participant will win their choice of 4 digi stamps from this adorable line!  The challenge this week is to put the markers down!!  You must watercolor your image - whether it be with watercolor pencils or re-inkers or paints and an aqua painter or brush - you cannot use markers to color your image!

WHAAA!  I want to cry...and so do my Copics...so unloved!!!  lol  I used this adorable image called Santa's Snack.  I first tried to print it on Kraft paper, but after jamming the printer 7 times, finally figured out that was a no go!  lol  So I switched directions and printed it straight on white.  I wanted something bright and colorful so I chose this paper from the Cosmo Cricket Jolly by Golly 6x6 paper pack.  Afraid the printer ink would smear, I heat set it first (good plan) and used watercolor pencils with an aqua-painter (bad plan).  I need practice in this beautiful technique {severely!!}.  After spreading the printer ink on several letters, I finally decided to add the image to the circular file and begin again!  lol
This time I heat set the image and lightly filled it in with and aqua-painter and ink pads from Stampin' Up's Chocolate Chip, Rose Red, So Saffron, Soft Sky and Wild Wasabi to, in essence, *watercolor* the image. 
The background paper stands out with a little detail of a ticket corner punch.  I added a strip of Soft Sky cardstock punched with a Martha Stewart icicle punch, some PTI Hibiscus Burst grosgrain ribbon and a Pure Poppy button tied with some Cherry Divine Baker's Twine.  Super simple and easy to mass produce!  Way easier than if I'd colored with Copics!!  I've just had a friend, I won't name names...Chris...that counted the markers I use to color an image...it gets a bit ridiculous at times (25+)!  lmao!  ;o) 

I encourage you to give this challenge a try...for me, it really was a severe challenge!!  Don't forget to bop along to the other ladies blogs and have a look-see at their stellar creations!  Have a super Friday!! :o) lyss

4 comments:

Leigh Ann Baird said...

This is awesome! I love the image and your watercoloring is perfect!

Kerri said...

This is super cute! Your watercoloring looks gorgeous:)

Alison said...

Love this, Lyss! That paper is so sweet, and the iciles really make the card. Your coloring is fab...even if it's without your beloved Copics! ;)

Lisa Kind said...

I tried the same technique with the watercolor crayons first as well with similar results! I ended up with the ink from the lids of SU pads! We used the same image and I love the way yours turned out! So pretty!