Friday, March 11, 2011

Just Us Girls #75 ~

Hola chicas!  I'm here today with a new challenge from the Just Us Girls challenge blog.  This week is a technique challenge: Acrylic Smash.  I'd never heard of this technique before this week and I found it a bit daunting, I have to admit.  I sat down yesterday morning determined to make something work, and guess what??  It was fun!  I only ran into one snag...after checking out this tutorial on SplitCoastStampers, I went in search of my StazOn ink to find it completely dried out.  Ugh...I was not going to waste my morning driving into town for a new ink pad, so I had to think fast!  I decided to attempt to heat emboss my image on the acrylic and it worked! 
I save all of the little pieces of acrylic that my clear stamps come on...you never know when you'll need a window on a template or a piece to position a stamp with a Stamp-a-ma-jig.  I rubbed the acrylic down with the embossing buddy and stamped this beautiful verse from Verve's Blessings set in Versafine Onyx Black ink.  I quickly embossed it with Filigree clear embossing powder.  It's not quite as deep black as I would have liked but it came out pretty nice.  One word to the wise, be careful not to scratch it!  The embossing comes off pretty easily as you can see if you look closely at the *I* in nothing.  lol  I flipped it over, after allowing it to cool for a bit, and swiped the back with Island Green and Seafoam Green acrylic paints using a makeup sponge.
  
I really wanted to make a butterfly with the dies that I got from Papertrey Ink a few months back.  So I used some more scraps of acrylic, patterned paper and a scrap of white swiped with some more of the acrylic paints.  A pretty plum button threaded with black twine makes up the body and antennae.  So fun and dimensional!
I used the Mojo Monday sketch #181 as my jumping off point. 
Please join us this week at JUGS!  This technique was a lot of fun!  Have a super duper weekend, and, as always, thanks so much for stopping by!!  :o) lyss

CHALLENGES ~
Just Us Girls #75: Acrylic Smash
Tuesday Throwdown #39: Use your scraps

15 comments:

Leigh Ann Baird said...

Gorgeous creation! I love the colors you went with too. I meant to play along with the sketch challenge but a week went by way too fast! LOL

SuzanneK said...

Stunning card, absolutely love the colour combo and layering. Thanks for sharing with us at LIIU, good luck with the challenge, Suzanne x

Patsi said...

Stunning card! The colours are lush! Thanks for joining us at LIIU x

Elise said...

Wow, GIRL! You are a super camper! Way to SOLVE the little hitches our supplies throw down once in a while - I would have been terrified to try and heat emboss acrylic like that! GREAT job! Love your use of colors and composition - FABULOUS! Great to have your talent along with JUST US GIRLS this month! Yipeeeee!

Kim said...

Gorgeous card! I love what you did with the paint. The butterfly is beautiful. Thanks for joining us at Tuesday Throwdown.

Stampin' Pam said...

Absolutely GORGEOUS colors Alyssa - I love the turquoise and green against the purples and the bling jewels and the matching b-fly - it's just FABULOUS! Way to rock with the JUGS again girl.

Shirl said...

Beautiful card and love that technique have to try it out. Thanks for sharing with us at Let's Ink It Up.
Hugs Shirley x x

Lisa Kind said...

I love how resourceful you were! I had the Stazon and some acrylic, but no paint! I couldn't figure how to do this technique without it, so I had to buy some! Love your card! Very pretty colors and the butterfly is so beautiful! Love the button and twine as the antennae...very clever! Great take on the technique challenge!

Maria Levine said...

Alyssa, this is beautiful!! LOVE the colors you used. Nice job with this challenge.

Andrea M said...

GORGEOUS Alyssa! Love the mix of turquoise and yellow on the acetate!!! Awesome job!!! The bling flourish is fabulous too! Great job with the challenge!

Jennifer Shults said...

This is gorgeous Alyssa! I love the iridescent look of this and the papers are so fun!

Dana Gustafson said...

Ohhh! Pretty! I love the teal paints you chose for this technique and also the results of heat embossing on acetate. Fabulous!

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

So pretty! Love that background technique. Thanks for playing Mojo Monday!

Cor* said...

OMWORD this is just gorJUSS!! How wonderful. A great technique. TFS with us at LIIU!

llq said...

Possibly the most amazing blog that I read all year off the shoulder wedding dresses?!