Friday, March 4, 2011

Just Us Girls #74 ~

Happy Saturday friends!  I have some exciting news to share with you today!  I've been asked to be the Guest Designer for March for the Just Us Girls Challenge blog!  I am overwhelmed and so honored to have been chosen by the uber talented design team to join them  :o)  Thanks ladies!!  The first Saturday of every month is a sketch challenge, and this one is a fun one!  I, of course, had to take a little liberty with the sketch and flip things around a bit...but as I always say, a sketch is really just a jumping off point for your creativity!  lol
I stamped a sunflower from Flourishes in tuxedo black ink and colored it with Copics.  I stamped it a second time so I could pop up the little body of the ladybug.   I added just a bit more dimension to the bug by dotting her spots with a black glaze pen.  The main image was cut with a Labels 10 die and then sponged with Antique Linen distress ink.
The raffia is tied around the center in a knot.  I then looped another piece a few times and tied the ends of the knot around the center of the loops.  lol  Hope that makes sense!  The sentiment is from Verve's Circular Sayings - a true staple for me lately - and cut out with the Labels 9 die.  The ripe avocado matting on both the focal image and the sentiment is hand cut - can't wait till Spellbinders comes out with all the Labels in smaller matting sizes!  I made this into a little gift set to brighten someone's day.
I've been experimenting with these cork coasters after making them for my mom last Mother's day.  Coloring on cork takes a little thought because you can't choose colors that are too light or too dark.  Here's a close up of just the coaster.  I've been using mine for a while now and even with a little condensation or spill, the Copics don't bleed. 

Thanks so much for stopping by today!  Hope you have a most fabulous weekend and play along with this fabulous sketch!  :o) lyss


SUPPLIES ~
STAMPS: Flourishes Sunflowers; Verve Circular Sayings
INK: Memento Tuxedo Black
PAPER: PTI Ripe Avocado, Spring Moss & SS White; Cosmo Cricket Early Bird mini deck
OTHER: Copics on card {E25, E27, E29, R27, R39, Y15, Y35, Y38, YG03, YG11, YG17, YG93, YG95, YG97} Copics on coaster {E25, E27, E29, R27, Y15, Y35, Y38, YG93, YG95}; Sakura Black Glaze pen; Spellbinders Labels 9 & Labels 10 dies; medium corner rounder punch; raffia from stash; dimensionals

12 comments:

Lisa Kind said...

Welcome to JUGs...you were chosen enough times, so I guess you HAD to accept! LOL!!! Your card is wonderful and I love your creative touch with it! Fabulous coloring and I love sunflowers (ever see my blog header? haha!). And I love the idea of stamping and coloring on the coaster...what a clever idea. I've only made the ceramic tile ones. Looking forward to more JUGs creations from you!

Stampin' Pam said...

Welcome Alyssa - so glad to have you on board this month! I LOVE your sunflower and the tiny lady bug - the raffia is a great accent piece and yes I understood what you meant. THe coaster is fabulous - I must try some of these myself. WELL DONE! Thanks for making JUGS shine :-)

Julie E said...

Gorgeous creations! Congrats on the GDT spot too, you sooo deserve it :>)

Leigh Ann Baird said...

Girl, I don't even know where to start praising the perfection of this card! I'm in awe of your mad skills! Congrats on the GDT--you are completely worthy of the honor!

Elise said...

Holy Moly, girl! YOU are talented! HUGE congrats to you and huge YEAHOOOO to the JUGS for having the honor of working with you this month! THIS card is breathtaking! I love the way you handled this sketch - YEOWZA~ Kinda makes me want to make ANOTHER card with it! {!} Meanwhile - LOVE THE COASTER! YOU are soooooooo clever! Can't wait to see WHAT else you do! YEEEE HAW!

Pam said...

Congrats to you and to them! Lovin' this experimentation on cork - it looks dynomite hot.

Jennifer Shults said...

This is really gorgeous Alyssa. I LOVE how you used the embossing folder... that looks amazing and that raffia is PERFECT. Gorgeous card.

Andrea M said...

WOW Alyssa!!! This is AMAZING!!! I LOVE sunflowers!!! They are my fav and you DEFINITELY did them justice!!! WOW! That coaster is FABULOUS! So so glad to have your on board this month! Welcome!!!!

Monique said...

This is gorgeous.. ... I love the wrapped raffia.. and what a great idea stamping on cork... And i do have some in my closet.. Thanks for the inspiration :)

Kristin Eberline said...

GIRL! WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME! You were destined to join us sooner rather than later with all your Chic of the Week wins :] So glad you agreed to team up with us this month, I'm a huge fan ♥

I adore your take on the sketch and I love how you think outside the box. Your coloring is spectacular and the raffia goes perfectly with the sunflower :] I have to tell you I love Spellbinders as well, and they will always have a place in my craft collection, BUT, I wanted to mention (if you don't already know) that you can easily mat cut files!! Do you own a cutting machine? You NEED one if you don't! Especially with all of the creative projects you whip up. Fast forward...I peeked at your labels and noticed a Cricut post...umm...seems like you have the right tool!!! LOL Okay, I'm jumping off my soap box :]

Thank you for joining us this month. We are absolutely delighted to have you ♥

Chris said...

this card is gorgeous! and love the coaster too!!

Dana Gustafson said...

Well now, you have surely brightened MY day with your sweet set. Way to kick off your JUGs designer month with such a delightful gift set!