Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Birthday Binder ~

I finally did it!  I finished my mom's birthday calendar!!  A couple of years ago, my super friend, Annie, made me a fabulous birthday calendar.  I pulled it out over at my mom's house one time and she just thought it was the absolute best thing ever!  So when PTI came out with the Calendar Basics set, I knew I had to have it all for Xmas presents.  Too bad this is the only one I got done!  I bought the die page and 5 mini calendars and everything!  I hate wasting money!!  Ugh...I can probably whip a couple out quickly if I can find the time and my son will get out of my hair for long enough! LOL
Anyway, here's the binder calendar.  I used the Labels 5 dies for the spine label.  It's just perfect in my opinion.  I wanted it to stand out, so I embossed it with Versafine Onyx Black and clear embossing powder.  Here's the front.  I drew a ton of inspiration from Denise's binder for her Mom.
I chose the color combo based on asking Mom what her favorite color is...either pinks and purples or blues and greens.  Hmmm...love Scarlet Jewel, Sweet Blush and Smokey Shadow together from some cards that Nichole Heady has done, so I ran with that.  The border is the Victorian Lace border die layered in the SJ and SB - in hind sight, I should've run the paper through the Xyron sticker machine before die cutting it.  I think I may make another of these for my MIL so I'll have to remember that!  My only complaint on this die is that there isn't a very large top to the border, so it's hard to attach it.  The center is a strip of SB and Vellum.  I stamped the mums from the Year of Flowers line in SJ randomly on the vellum and then stamped over it with a large wooden script stamp in Memento London Fog.  Super subtle but very pretty IRL.  The label is Fillable Frames #4 and is up on dimensionals...I think I may change that too.  It will be too *out there* to get torn off.  The black parts of this  are embossed as well.  A little SJ twill covers all the Scor tape used to hold it all in place.
The inside cover is finished off to cover the ends of the twill and to provide an area to hold some larger envelopes.  Mom likes to have the larger card envelopes to be able to print and send pics (white envelopes included).  I love the negative pieces from the VL border die so I used those to pretty up the inside.  A quote from Verve's One Person is embossed for a little extra and to not leave it so plain. 
I'm too cheap to buy the pre-made PTI pages, so I created them on my computer.  I did print them on SS White though - gotta love the sturdiness of their cardstock!  Each page is stamped with the flower of the month in Smokey Shadow second generation.  I'm holding out for my PTI order to get here so I can finish December.  Mom will just have to wait for January's release for this beauty to be fully finished!

So that's it!  I'm so happy with it, and I hope she will be too!  I'll just have to find out where she stores it, so I can slip some cards in there from time to time...I haven't had time to make any of those! 

Hope you're all having a wonderful week!  I'm off to go clean up the tornado that hit my craft cave these last couple of weeks!  Happy Holidays!!  :o) lyss
Challenges:
Paper Sundaes #49: Cut it Out
Papertake Weekly: Anything Goes
SUPPLIES ~
STAMPS: PTI Calendar Basics & entire Year of Flowers line; Le London Script; Verve One Person
INK: Versafine Onyx Black; Memento London Fog; PTI Scarlet Jewel, Smokey Shadow & Sweet Blush; HP printer ink
PAPER: PTI Kraft, Scarlet Jewel, Sweet Blush, SS White & Vellum
OTHER: Spellbinders Labels 5 dies; PTI Victorian lace border die & Fillable Frames #4 die; PTI Scarlet Jewel twill; Scor tape; Filigree clear embossing powder

14 comments:

Rhonda said...

Great job!!! I sure it feels great to have this completed.

Cathy Weber said...

This is really, really beautiful. Your mom will love it. How great that you had all of the YOF stamps to use on it. I love all the little details you used and all the pretty trim.

IamDerby said...

This turned out gorgeous! I love how you double layered the border on the front.

Stamper for fun said...

I love the colors and the overlap of the borders. It turned out beautifully.

Kerri said...

I absolutely LOVE this idea!!! So gorgeous, girl. Ok, I may need to make these for next year...

Belinda said...

Super fabulous! :) Love the fun border!

BethieJ said...

Alyssa this is BEAUTIFUL!! She is gonna LOVE it!! (UM.. I had calenders planned to make too.. GASP I didnt get them done... sigh!) NOW I must figure out how you did the pages on your computer.. so I can BORROW that idea! LOL! I just bought a set... :) I like your idea better.. more $ for stamps! :)
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Peggysuez said...

This is beautiful! And so timely too, I have one of these in my shopping cart! Just deciding what to pair up with it. Thanks for sharing, it is lovely.

Suzanne said...

Alyssa, this is simply stunning. I love the way you finished the inside cover. So professional. Your mom will be thrilled.

Lindsey said...

What a thoughtful gift. The colours look gorgeous! As for the other supplies... there's always next year!

LindaC said...

Hi Alyssa, I love your birthday binder! The colors are great, and what a wonderful gift! I too like PTI's projects.
I am excited to be on the iCopic DT with you. I look forward to working with and learning from you. It will be a blast!
Merry Christmas! Warm wishes! Linda Cummings

Leigh Ann Baird said...

I tried to comment on this yesterday but google wouldn't let me for whatever reason. This is a beautiful binder and your Mom will love it! I have an urge to make a calendar now. LOL

Shana said...

What a beautiful colour combo and fabulous gift! Thank you for joining us at Paper Sundaes - we hope to see you again soon!

Tracy V. said...

Love your project. It turned out beautiful and will make lovely gifts. Thanks for joining us at Paper Sundaes. Tracy V