Saturday, August 7, 2010

Happy Birthday my love ~

Hey all!  I'm determined to stay ahead of myself this month and get cards, projects, etc. done before I'm scrambling at the last minute.  I'm also trying to jot ideas down as I think of them.  My husband's birthday is next Friday, so about two weeks ago I started thinking about the card I wanted to make him.  I wanted to use black, red, cardboard and possibly a skull and crossbones made from grungeboard.  So I wrote that down on some random piece of paper and stuck it to my computer screen.  Then I was reading something on the PTI forums where someone asked about the dies cutting through leather. 
Bing!  A lightbulb went off that I had some leather scraps I bought at HL.  Just as an FYI, I tried the scraps with Nesties and it was a no-go - even when I ran it through my Bug about 25 times!  I was able to get a good enough impression to snip along the lines though!  However, the Cuttlebug dies work...as long as the cut isn't too detailed.  See this skull & crossbones worked (I had to pop out the nose with the smaller side of the crop-a-dile), but a snowflake die I have doesn't.  I did look at Michael's and they have some thinner leather that would probably work, but it's more expensive - one little sheet for $3 instead of a bag of scraps for $3.50. 
Anyway, with all the elements in place, now I needed a good sketch.  Insert Mojo Monday #150!  Whenever I use a specific companies sketch challenge, I like to use at least one stamp set from them (if I have any!).  I'm drawn to the more frilly, feminine sets of Verve's.  I was able to find a Happy Birthday sentiment from Fancy Florals that would work with this card.  My FF set is the old red rubber set, so I'm not sure if the sentiment size is different.  Julee Tilmann used the same sentiment on her MM150 sample, and it looks bigger.  I don't know...anyway, here's the card!

I made the background papers with a combination of stamps from Bombshell Stamps.  They are listed and linked in the Supplies area down below.  All the edges were sponged and *dirtied* up.  I didn't really want to add a ribbon to this card.  Nothing really seemed as masculine as I needed, so I opted for twine and a metal button with the two button holes representing the two dots on the sketch.  A stretch??  No, not me, never ever!  :o)
Here's a close up so you can see all the fun texture.  Lastly, for the inside I found a little stamp from a fun birthday sentiment set I got from Paper Garden Projects.  It says, "To me, old age is always ten years older than I am".  This works perfect for the hubster and I being that he is 10 years older than me!  I'm getting a giggle every time I read it! lol  This little card also works for the Cute Card Thursday challenge #124 of Whateva!     Thanks for stopping by!  Hope you all have a fantastic weekend! :o) lyss



STAMPS: Bombshell Stamps Hearts On Fire, Love & Luck, & Speed Shop; Verve Stamps Fancy Florals; Fiskars Make a Wish
INK: VersaMark; Ranger Distress Antique Linen; Versafine Onyx Black; PTI Pure Poppy
PAPER: PTI True Black, Smoky Shadow, SS White, Pure Poppy; cardboard
OTHER: twine; metal button; clear embossing powder; Cuttlebug skull die; leather; medium corner rounder punch; glue pen; crop-a-dile; dimensionals

6 comments:

Leigh Ann Baird said...

I squealed with delight to see you had new posts in google reader! Yipee! This is a perfect man card and I love the sentiment-- especially since Doug is 10 years older! Great work with the leather!

Alison said...

This is too cool! I love that you used leaher, and your sentiment is perfect! Great job, Lyss!

Kerri said...

What a fab masculine card for your hubby! I love the idea of the skull in leather, and the way you did the bottom edge looks awesome! That sentiment is so perfect! Awesome, girl:)

Cheryl Valadez said...

Perfect! Hubby is going to love this! Fabulous use of those Bombshell images, too ;D

Chris said...

very cool birthday card for your man!! love the grunge!!

platform bed said...

I am looking for gorgeous design of card. This has not a gorgeous design but it really attracts me. The design is so cool.