Wednesday, June 23, 2010

My Mr. Fix It ~

Hey all!  I wanted to share with you the card I made for my dad for Father's Day.  My dad is the most wonderful man.  He's smart, kind, patient and quiet...well, until he's passionate about something! lol  We are extremely close - partially because I spent so much time with him growing up.  Our family owns a health food store that I *worked* at until I left for college.  At the age of 5, I was running the register and counting change back to customers.  I spent every day there after school with my father.  {My mom was a florist up until after I had been in college for a couple years.  At that point, she was finally able to quit the stressful life of a florist (think bridezillas and funeral flowers) and work side-by-side with my dad.}  Growing up, my dad fixed everything - from the garbage disposal when my mom and I clogged it up with potato peels on Thanksgiving Day to buying clunker cars and rebuilding the engines to replacing the heating coil in our dryer, I don't know, like 50 times!  Now the poor man has 3 or 4 "Honey-Do" lists when he comes up to visit.  He has to fix things here at my house, my mom's house, my grammy's house and sometimes help with any of my 3 brother's houses too!  With that said, this is the perfect image for his card.
This is Mr. Fix It Grandpa from Karen's Doodles.  He is adorable!  Love his stash and that he's not bald.  My dad still has a great head of hair - I didn't want to color him gray though.  He's still 39...at least that's what he's holding at!  I was inspired by this card from the last round of Gallery Idol.  Love the little strip of nails, so I just had to try it.  All those little brads are held in place with two rows of Scor Tape and a line of Tombo Mono multi glue down the center.  The dp is Cosmo Cricket Cogsmo from a few years ago - the gears just seemed so appropriate.  He is mounted on some cork paper and anchored with some screw tipped brads.  I didn't mail this to him b/c I didn't want to risk any of the brads to fall off in transit - although, I think they're stuck in place for good!
  The inside is finished with PTI's Fillable Frames 4 and some scraps of the Cogsmo paper.  I sent him an email of his card - gotta love modern technology!  My dad's sweet and saves every card I make for him.  Love you, Daddy!
Now, just because I'm feeling all nostalgic and whatnot, here is an example of what my poor father had to put up with!  This is the movie that made me fall in love with Johnny Depp.  We didn't get 21 Jump Street, so I didn't see him till Crybaby.  I think I was like 14 or 15 years old.  I proceeded to watch it over and over and over!  My poor parents!  It's fabulous and campy and corny!  You really must see it at least once!
Hope you all are having a fantastic week!  I hope to get back here tomorrow with another card...we'll see!  I'm off to get my hair done today - Yay!  A little *me* time is just what I need right now!  I'll be back on Friday with the Fourth Friday Challenge with Paper Garden Projects.  There's a cute little prize involved, so you'll want to play along!  Thanks so much for stopping by! :o) lyss
SUPPLIES ~
STAMPS: Karen's Doodles Mr Fix It Grandpa; PaperTrey Ink Fillable Frames 4
INK: HP printer ink; Versafine Onyx Black; PTI Pure Poppy
PAPER: PTI Pure Poppy, SS White & True Black; Cosmo Cricket Cogsmo; cork
OTHER: Copics {Colorless blender, 110 Spcl Black, B95, B97, C1, C3, C5, E00, E02, E27, E29, E37, E43, E51, E55, E57, E59, R02, R24, R27, R29, W3, W5, W7, Y11, Y15, Y28}; 1" brads; Scor Tape; Tombo Mono Multi glue; screw brads; dimensional foam tape

9 comments:

Cheryl Valadez said...

Alyssa, your Father's Day card is truly inspiring! Love that row of brads. Your dad must have been thrilled with this!

LOVE Cry Baby!! John Waters really knows how to amp up the camp factor. Remember Hatchet Face...she stills cracks me up!!

Randee E said...

It kind of looks like him. And Mario too :0) Love how you did the inside - hope your summer is fab so far!

Leigh Ann Baird said...

This card is the best! So clever and perfect for Father's Day! I love those little nails! I didn't even make a card for Derrick--I'm so evil! The girls made him a card though so it's cool.

Julie E said...

Wonderful card! Plus great to hear more about your dad. Check out this link...I wanted to make it for my Dad for Father's Day, but did not have time. Now it is on the list for his B-day in July. My Dad was a carpenter, so I can totally relate!
http://melstampz.blogspot.com/2008/05/tool-belt-box-gift-box-template-for.html

Danielle said...

You colored that image sooo well!! WOW! and, I love those nails!!
Your cards are fantastic!!

Kerri said...

That image is adorable! How perfect for your dad! My dad is so not a handyman LOL. My hubby has to help him out at times...

Madeleine Bouquet said...

This is such a cool card! I just love the nails!:)

And Crybaby is such an awesome movie!

hugs,
Laura

Chris said...

what a cute card! love that image!

Rebecca said...

My dad was a fixer, too. And so is my husband. That's just such a manly quality, imo. Gotta be able to work and make things good as new ;) I love your card. That image is awesome, and the dp is fabulous. Perfect for this card.