Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day ~

Warning: Lots of pics again!
Hello!  Happy Mother's Day to all you mother's out there!  Hopefully, you are being spoiled today - you all deserve it!
I was inspired to make a gift set of coasters for my mother after experimenting with the butterfly coaster last month.  Since my mom and I have such a love of flowers, I chose to use a few PTI sets to create the set.  Lucky for me, the Copic Creations challenge is to color on alternative mediums - perfect for this project!!
 
Here's a look at the set all together. Coloring on cork coasters is a bit different. The inks don't blend as nicely as they do on a piece of cardstock. The colors are much darker also. Lighter colors like BG10 for example, don't show up very well - they just kind of look wet.  I did use the heat gun to help set the inks.  I also chose to test a butterfly coaster that I made for myself.  I ran it under the faucet and then blotted it with a paper towel.  I saw some of the ink transfer but not a huge amount.  The slight ink bleeding was only with the black Copic that I had used to color the bolder areas of the butterfly and was hardly noticeable.  Here they are as individuals



I needed a way to present them all together with my mom's card that I showed a couple of weeks ago here.  I chose to use the Perfect Presentation Spring Basket without the handle.  I really liked how the woodgrain turned out on the base of the card so I used that as the decorative matting on the basket.
The ribbon is the same as the card as well.  I stamped a sentiment from Big and Bold Wishes straight on the twill.  It's not quite as crisp as I would like, but the effect is kind of fun.  Each of the flowers and leaves were stamped, colored, and cut out separately.  I popped the bottom half of the large sweet pea and the very bottom leaf up on dimensionals.  The coasters fit perfectly inside and mimic the rounded edges of the basket.  I love the way this turned out!  This may be my go to gift to give to friends for their birthdays this year...
The last thing I did to my mom's card was to stamp Zane's hand in VersaMark and emboss it with clear embossing powder.  We've always wanted to do one of the little hand/foot print plaques and never get around to it.  I think that I'll do this every mother's day for the next few years.  It will be a great keepsake for all, and fun for Zane to look back on with his own kids someday!
Thanks for stopping by today!  I always appreciate all of your sweet comments and encouragement!  Again, I hope you all are having a most wonderful mother's day!  :o) lyss
SUPPLIES ~
CARD:   Supplies listed here
BASKET:
STAMPS: PTI Background Basics Woodgrain, Big and Bold Wishes & Year of Flowers: Sweet Pea
INK: Memento Tuxedo Black; Versafine Onyx Black; PTI Sweet Blush
PAPER: PTI SS White, Sweet Blush & True Black
OTHER: Copics {R20, R22, R24, Y11, YG11, YG13, YG17}; light pink grosgrain; SU Certainly Celery twill and dimensionals; Scortape
COASTERS:
STAMPS: PTI Delightful Dahlia, Friends 'til the End, Year of Flowers: Sweet Peas & Year of Flowers: Violets
INK: Memento Tuxedo Black
OTHER: Copics Dahlias {G14, R14, R17, R32, R35, YG09}, Daisies {RV19, R39, R59, R83, R85, YG93, YG95, YRO4, YR07, Y15}, Sweet Peas {R20, R22, R24, YG13, YG17}, Violets {V95, V99, Y11, YG91, YG93, YG95, 110 Spcl Blk}; heat gun

8 comments:

Rebecca said...

Wow, these are so cool! And all packaged together like that, a fabulous little gift. I especially love the embossed handprint. What grandma wouldn't go nuts for that?!?!? I hope you had a wonderful Mother's day as well!

Leigh Ann Baird said...

I'm almost speechless! My goodness this is a stunning gift set! The coasters are so unique and the color combo on the card and basket, along with the woodgrain, are fantastic! You are amazing! The handprint is such a sweet idea and I need to do that with my kids!
Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!

Tiffany Heilman said...

this is absolutely gorgeous! Love the card, the packaging, the gift! So lovely.

Cheryl Valadez said...

Wow, Alyssa! What a fabulous gift! I'm sure your mother was thrilled. Your son's handprint on the inside is such a sweet and personal touch. This will be a wonderful keepsake :)

Rica said...

Simply fabulous - bet Mum loved them!! Fantastic coasters, not easy blending on any other surface i don't think, you've done a great job on those stunning flowers.
Thanks so much for playing along with us at Copic Creations.
hugs Heather xx

Jane Wetzel said...

these are wonderful! bet your mom loved them! thanks for joining us at CC!

www.alittlethisandalotofthat.blogspot.com said...

Congratulations Alyssa for winning this challenge.... You have beautiful creations here and deserve to win...CONGRATULATIONS again

Harriet

Julie E said...

Wow! How did I miss this?!?!?! It is perfect in so many ways. Not to mention your son's hand stamp - just beyond sweet - I am going to be trying this one, I just need to do it today before life take's over ;>).
Awesome gift!