Thursday, March 4, 2010

Sketch Girl 13 take two ~

This past spring/summer I attended a scrapbooking/stamping expo at our local fairgrounds.  I got this really cool stuff called embossing paste and a gorgeous brass stencil.  I proceeded to make a couple of samples as I had seen the demonstrator do...and then couldn't figure out a layout for the card.  In comes Sketch Girl 13...perfect!  Here's the sketch again
Here is the card that popped into my head the moment I saw this sketch
This is how it works...you tape the stencil down with a low tack tape to your paper and slather on the embossing paste, similar to frosting a cake.  Once you have the height and consistency you are happy with, you gently peel off 3 sides of tape, leaving one side on as a hinge.  You take the stencil off and allow the paste to dry...I think I left mine overnight, although I don't think it needs that long to dry.  {You have to clean the stencil right away b/c this stuff hardens and will become permanent.}  Once it's dry, you lay the stencil back down and sponge color onto the image.  I used ripe avocado for the stem and plum pudding, raspberry fizz, hibiscus burst, summer sunrise and barely banana for the flower.  In the future, I think I'll do a lighter base for the stencil so the flower stands out a bit more.  I kept the rest of the card very simple - a dark chocolate mat, rustic cream base and sentiment tag on a plum pudding satin ribbon.  The sentiment is from PTI Autumn Abundance and is stamped in VersaMagic Jumbo Java and sponged around the edges.
Hope you are all having a wonderful day!  Hopefully, I'll see you back with more soon!  I'm super inspired today but have a 2+ year old that wants to go to the park ;o) lyss

15 comments:

Alison said...

I wish I could take my maniacs to the park! Too cold here! I love your card! I have a paste too, but it's pre-colored. I love that you get to color yours! Now go stamp Drucilla!!! ;}

Leigh Ann Baird said...

Stunning! It's so stinkin' cool! I have never heard of this paste before but I love what you did with it! Have fun at the park!

Kerri said...

OOH, This is GORGEOUS, Alyssa!!! What a cool technique, and the way you sponged that flower is just beautiful! Love it, girl!

Rebecca said...

Oh, this is so beautiful!!! I love the colors that you went with. And the purple ribbon on the sentiment is just breath-taking. Great card!

Jodi said...

This is such a pretty card! Love the colors you used for it too! This is a beautiful card that can be used for all occasions!!
Hugs
Jodi =)

Chris said...

this is very cool! i have never tried this technique!! you rock!!

Julie E said...

Beautiful - I like the color on color look and the distressing. It really all comes together with the sketch! I have that paste too (from several years ago and it is still good LOL).

A_MOMS_LIFE said...

Beautiful!! I love that purple bow, it really stands out!

Sara said...

Oh WOW Alyssa that is so cool!!! I've never heard of the paste, but that is amazing!!

Cheryl Valadez said...

Wow! What a beautiful result! I love hearing about new products. The fabulous texture and color on this card makes me want to reach out and touch it :)

Jen Shults said...

that is just an awesome technique! I love this!!

Harriet said...

Your card is awesome.... wowsers I love the way the technique worked..... is beautiful.....

terisplace said...

Hi Alyssa!
I wish you could have heard me when I opened up your blog and saw this card. It went something like this:
"Ohhhhhhhhhh."
"Love. Love. Love."

What a fantastic and beautiful card. I've seen this technique before, but I don't think I have ever seen it done as pretty as you have done it. Fab!

Thanks for the invitation to stop by. I am glad I did.

Take care,
Teri
Paper Crafts Go-to-Gal

Cath said...

Hey Alyssa! Thanks for entering the Olympics of Stamping Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! :)

Terri said...

Very cool! I really need to give this technique a try too. I hope my embossing paste is still good.