Monday, March 22, 2010

No winter lasts forever ~

or so Hal Borland says.  Me, I'm not so sure!  Today is gorgeous, nearly 70 degrees, but tomorrow we have a forecast of more snow.  Enough already!  I know areas of the country have seen it way worse than us up here in Northern Colorado - my dad kept getting hit with back to back snowstorms in Durango that dumped at least 3 feet a piece.  I remember that from growing up - we'd have to shovel the snow away from the windows so the weight wouldn't crack them.  Spring will show up soon enough I'm sure, I just want to enjoy more of this fabulous sunshine!
Anywho, here is a card I made for a little card sketch challenge at Paper Garden Projects.  The main image is a digi freebie that you can download at the store.  Echinacea or purple coneflower is one of my favorite flowers - it's a perennial that does wonderfully in Colorado and has medicinal qualities too.  Love it!  It's not really a spring time flower, more of a mid to late summer bloomer, but it still works with the quote I think.
I colored it in with Copics but wasn't able to achieve just the right color...guess that means I need to go shopping! lol  Did you all see that Hobby Lobby has doubled their collection of Copic markers!  Yay!  I still have my online sources, but I like to save those for colors that I can't get at Hobby Lobby.  Frustratingly, I've called  the art stores and hobby/crafting stores and no one else carries them.  I even called our LSS and they didn't even know what they were.  I'm thinking, hello?, have you not been on any stamping blogs or even SCS to see what the current trends are?  Sorry to get off on a tangent there! 
I used a quote from the Verve anniversary set, Beautiful You.  It's a cool set that was developed by utilizing each of the design team's favorite quotes.  Each day of the pre-release showed a peak of a quote and project made by the DT with that quote as well as why they chose it.  "No winter lasts forever, no spring skips its turn. -Hal Borland"  This one is from Laurie Schmidlin and speaks of hope and that things will get better.  After 3 days of the whole family having the stomach flu, this is the quote I chose for this card!  Ha! lol  I distressed the quote while still in the circle die with Antique Linen distress ink, as well as the edges of the main image.  The background is stamped in VersaMark with the Tin Types background set from PTI.  I then swiped the Always Artichoke cube around the edges of the card for a bit more depth.  That's all I have for you today!  Cross your fingers that this stomach flu will go away and leave us all alone!!  :o) lyss

12 comments:

Yvette said...

How beautiful!!! LOVE the flowers! And I think you did a pretty good job with the color of them! :)

Alison said...

This is a great post! So funny! We don't have a Hobby Lobby here... you're so lucky! I have no idea who sells Copics around here. Although, that's prob. better off since I so can't go buyin' markers! I aldo love purple cone flower and have a ton of it growing in my Mom's yard. It's beautiful. Right next to her rudbeckia. Your card looks really pretty. I hope you don't get a lot of snow.

BTW... Tell your Dad how you feel. TODAY. You never know whem there won't be a tomorrow. I am so glad I always told mine how much I love him. Good luck!!!

Chris said...

this is beautiful!!

Randee E said...

Gorgeous card! I LOVE that image, I'm going to have to see about nabbing that one!! Your coloring is gorgeous, even with the limited supply of colors :0) OUr Archivers just started carrying a few. Also LOVE that anitque linen ink, definitely going on my wish list. And I am SO right there with you - enough already with the snow!! We had upper 60's on Thurs/Fri, and then 3 inches of snow by Sat morning!!

Julie E said...

So beautiful and I sincerely hope the sentiment is true! Besides your coloring, which is perfection as always, I really like the shading you added.

Hopefully you are all on the road to recovery - besides snow, this winter has been germ filled!

Leigh Ann Baird said...

It's beautiful and the colors look perfect to me! I hope you feel better soon!

Kerri said...

Gorgeous coloring, Alyssa!!! I'm so sorry you've had the stomach flu! Our house has had it twice this winter! I also know what you mean about Colorado weather. I grew up in Wyoming, and also lived in Grand Junction, CO for a few years. It definitely gets frustrating this time of year!

Cathy at Paper Garden Projects said...

What a lovely card! You did such a great job with the image. I think you did a wonderful job coloring. Those coneflowers were cut out of my garden (I have 3 big patches of them in 3 different places). I just love that they attract butterflies when they are new, and then the gold finches come and eat the seeds when the flowers age.

Thanks so much for playing the Paper Garden Projects challenge and sharing your card with me!

Niki Estes said...

Very pretty! Love those flowers!

Jen Shults said...

I'm so behind on commenting. :( But I haven't forgotten you!! :D

This is wonderful... your coloring is AMAZING! Love the circular sentiment!

Rebecca said...

This is gorgeous! I love those flowers in their little vase. Our lss looked at me like I was nuts when I asked them about copics, too. Crazy folk, they are missing out on a huge opportunity!

Edna said...

Nice job with the colouring the flowers and bottle look great!