Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A Circular Color Challenge


Yowza! I have been a challenge maniac for the past week! I know I have DT stuff to finish; yet I can't get away from wanting to make Xmas cards and take part in some challenges too! You'll have to check back {hopefully} tomorrow for a fun little card made with the StampInsanity Stamps set Otherworldly Loves.
Have you seen the new online design publication Embellish? If not, you're missing out on a super blog with fun challenges and even the opportunity to be published! Check it out! Here is last weeks challenge that is open until Thursday, October 15th. I ran with the 'circle represents the world and the colors identify with the earth's natural elements, such as air, water, grass and ground.' I stamped a flourish from a Basic Grey Xmas stamp set, Winterland, on Aqua Mist cardstock in the new PTI Spring Moss ink. Let me just say that I think this ink has a bit of a learning curve on it. I was frustrated with the coverage, so I bopped onto the PTI forum and searched for threads about the new inks. Nichole responded to some unhappy users that you need to dab the ink pad on scratch paper about 6 times to condition the pad. This helped TONS!! Also, you only need a light touch for good coverage. If you press your stamp into the ink too firmly, you'll get excess ink around the edges of the stamp and a goopy image.
See my thought process was that the green on the blue would actually represent the Earth - you know...like the continents and stuff? Yes, I'm a nerd. The white hanger piece is cut and embossed with a long scallop rectangle, smooshed into the VersaMark pad and embossed with Iridescent Ice embossing powder...for the North Pole!! Ha! I then stamped the sentiment and embossed it in white embossing powder. I liked the color combo and wanted to experiment, so I reversed the colors. I thought they could be little Xmas ornaments with a picture of the kids inside. The backside is also stamped with the flourish images.
Hope you enjoyed my take on the circular color challenge! Have a fantastic day!! :o) lyss
SUPPLIES~
STAMPS: Basic Grey Winterland (retired); Papertrey Ink Holiday Wishes
INK: VersaMark; Papertrey Ink Aqua Mist & Spring Moss
PAPER: Papertrey Ink Aqua Mist, Spring Moss & SS White

OTHER: SU! Iridescent Ice and White embossing powder; Crop-a-dile; PTI satin ribbon Aqua Mist; Spellbinders Classic Circle & Long Scallop Nestabilities

9 comments:

Leigh Ann Baird said...

You are super clever! I love your circle cards. I'm circle card challenged--I've never made a good one. I could just copy yours!

Julie E said...

I think your "ornaments" are gorgeous! I too am challenge crazy lately! It's fun :>}

Chris said...

these are gorgeous!! i wanted to do this challenge today, but i was lazy...lol how's co? we miss it, but not the family bs....safer out here! >"<

Sara said...

Too cute! Love your colors and such a perfect circle!

Alyssa B said...

Pretty, very elegant!

Jessica said...

Clever idea!!! Love the elegance :)

Winter said...

So pretty! Great idea! :)

Scrapping Julie said...

how fun!!

Ashley Cannon Newell said...

Very nice ornaments! Thanks so much for participating in the challenge!