Wednesday, September 23, 2009

StampInsanity Stamps & a Shimmerz Review


The Stamp Sistahs will be previewing a couple new StampInsanity stamp sets tomorrow, September 25th!! The new sets have Henry and Morgan all dressed up for Halloween. If you can't wait that long, bop on over to the Senior Design Team's blogs for a peek. Tonya (owner of Stamp Happens)

Beth (owner of StampInsanity stamps)

Julie (Senior Stamp Sistah and fearless leader)

Jen (Senior Stamp Sistah and artist of Wildflower Kids stamps)
These new stamps are deeply etched rubber and have a ton of sentiments to go along with the images - in other words, you get a lot for your money! They are available exclusively through Stamp Happens. Please come back tomorrow for a card made with a very witchy Morgan!

Switching gears on you now...here's a review of Shimmerz. If you click on over to the store, you'll be able to read reviews posted by the Stamp Sistahs on the different colors that we've tried.
One thing I like to do with all my stamping goodies is to make a key or guide for myself. I took a scrap of the white paper I always use (Papertrey Ink Stamper's Select White) and painted a thin line of each of the colors that I own. I, purposefully, did not alter this picture too much because I wanted you to be able to see not only the shimmer, but the difference in color between Opal and Angel Wings. They are hard to see, but Opal has a slight shell pink tint to it while the Angel Wings is the color that I like most to paint over anything to just give shimmer and not cover or alter the underlying color. {Hope that makes sense!}Shimmerz is super easy to use and not messy at all! The little tubs need to be shaken first to help evenly distribute all the sparkly bits! It is a water based paint, so if you feel that yours is too thick, just add a couple of drops of distilled water. I use a small paintbrush to apply to my projects. It dries quickly and, according to the manufacturer, can be used on paper, acetate and metal. I'll have to try the other mediums and see how I like the coverage. The number one reason I like Shimmerz? It's made in the USA!! Yay! It's not MADE IN CHINA ;o)

I made a little 4.25" square card with the jack-o-lantern from the Wildflower Kids set, Broom Rides. He is colored with Copics and cut out with square nesties, matted on a another classic square and then a black scallop square. I chose to use the Golden Wheat to create a shimmery, candlelit feel. The Golden Wheat was painted over the already colored openings. I realized after the fact that there is no need to color your image first. As you can see from the above *key*, the color is vibrant enough to go straight to paper and give excellent color. The background paper is from Papertrey Ink and is originally black and white. I used a brayer to color it to my liking - a great way to customize your designer papers.
Just a little detail shot to, hopefully, show the extra little bit that Shimmerz can add to your project!
Please check on the other Stamp Sistah's blogs (links in my sidebar) for their Shimmerz reviews. Don't forget to come back tomorrow for a look at the new Morgan! :o) Alyssa







SUPPLIES:
STAMPS: Wildflower Kids Broom Rides
PAPER: Papertrey Ink SS White and Black & White Basics DP, Going Grey, Green Galore, Pumpkin Pie, Basic Black
INK: Memento Tuxedo Black, VersaMark
OTHER: white embossing powder (SU!), Golden Wheat Shimmerz, halloween ribbon (Michael's)

8 comments:

Steph said...

I love your plan to create a colour card, I wondered about Angel wings vs. Opal, now I know! Thanks!

Love the colouring on the Jack-o-lantern, and the brayering on the card...never would've thought! that's one tool I don't have yet...on my list!

Beth said...

LOVE this card - it is so my style! Fantastic layout, too. Did I mention I love it? :)

I also appreciate that it is made in the USA! Good on you for mentioning that! :) Great post!

deconstructing jen said...

This looks great Alyssa! I really love your layout. It's cute, simple and very very effective. I love how you let that awesome dp shine. And you did a fantastic job with the jack-0-lantern and the Copics and the Shimmerz are the perfect touch. Great reveiw!! :D

Jacqueline said...

Oh how cute Lyss!! The pumpkin is perfect!! Great layout and colors...PERFECT for halloween!! :)

Yvette said...

What a super cute Halloween card! Love your idea of the "shimmery candle-lit" feel. Great job!

Leigh Ann Baird said...

You are such a clever girl. Your card is just my style as well. Great idea with the pattern paper, I'll have to try that sometime.

Rach said...

A gorgeous card , so cool. hugs rachxx

Donna said...

Lyss....Fantastic review, gorgeous card and amazing technique...I LOVE it all!!! Beautiful work hon!! Xx