Sunday, March 1, 2009

I have a new love...







I have a confession to make. I always thought that I could never color things the way that I saw people do it across the world wide web. I have found and fell in love with color pencils and OMS (odorless mineral spirits). Granted, I am, by far, no expert; however, it is incredible to me how easy it was to achieve the look I was going for with a measly 24 different pencils! Again, I have to say that I have a long way to go and a ton to learn. My first attempt was so exciting to me! I have been trying with Copics, but I never achieved the shading that was so incredibly easy with this method. Ok! I'll quit blubbering about how much I love it.
This is Small Ace from High Hopes stamps. (An incredible company btw!) Like I've, pretty much, already stated - I colored him with my new Koh-I-Noor colour pencils. I got them at Michael's with a 40% off coupon for - get this!! - $10! {Every Copic marker I own is purchased at Hobby Lobby when they are 30% off, making them just a tid bit over $4 a piece!! Now, do you all understand my excitement?!?!} The OMS was a whole $4.99 that I used another coupon on and the blending stumps were only $2 - although, to be truthful, I don't like the ones I got much. I need to spend a bit more on something better. Anywho, I already had him colored when I saw the color challenge over at KW Design Blog and I used the sketch over at Jen's blog. {I heart her sketches, you know!} I embossed the chocolate layer with the PTI set Polka Dot Basics with clear EP. The Brocade Blue layer is embossed with the Spots and Dots folder that is inked on the negative side with the same ink. I used my Labels 1 nesties to frame the little guy, and added a 'glow' of blue sparkle around him with my Pebbles Inc. Shimmers Chalks. {I actually got mine at Hobby Lobby with another 40% coupon. :o) }
K - I think the rest is pretty self-explanatory. Questions?? Just leave a comment - I always love them! - and ask. Hope you all have a fantastic Monday!! I know I wish that I could stay home and stamp!! :o) lyss
E.T.A. - Ha! I just looked at my post and found that the colors from the challenge are the same on my blog!! That is too funny! According to my hubby, I have a strange sense of humor though :o)

8 comments:

Winter said...

Very cute card, I always wonder how everyone gets the coloring on their cards to look so good. Now I know what kind of markers to buy! I'm going to Micheals this week! Thanks!

MacKenzie said...

Your coloring is beautiful on this! Great job! I may have to get some tips from you :-)

Claire Harrison said...

Great card for the challenge, love your colouring. The stamp is just the cutest, I have actually been unfaithful to my SU stamps and ordered this guy and some of his friends (my son collects dragons!) Can't wait for them to arrive.

Leigh Ann Baird said...

Alyssa, you should do a video tutorial!! I typically stay away from stamps that require coloring. I'm just not that good at it and I don't really have money to throw down on some Copics. I will more than likely pick up those pencils though. Great card!

Simple. Chic. Simply chic. said...

great job with this!

terri said...

*grin*

You rock.

Niki Estes said...

Absolutely adorable, Alyssa! I love your coloring!

Crissy Armstrong said...

Your coloring is great! Love what you did with Ace!