Sunday, July 27, 2008

A Pirate's Life for me...

When I was little, my favorite ride at Disneyland was The Pirates of the Caribbean. When I got older (and still now), my favorite actor was/is Johnny Depp. I fell in love with him in a little movie called Crybaby. Naturally, my favorite movie is...yep, you guessed it! The Pirates of the Caribbean! I'm still so in love with pirates that I've decorated my son's room in them and buy every pirate stamp that I can find! I sure hope he ends up liking them too! :o) My friend nicknamed my son Mayhem when we were trying to pick out funny names for our kiddos. She had a son 3 days before me. I call him Riot. So we have Captain Mayhem and his First Mate Riot. :o)
Anyway, here is a card I designed to submit for a guest designer challenge. The company is called Whiff of Joy and has some really cute images. For the challenge, you are to create a card using Katharina's sketch and submit it to her by 30 July. Without further ado, here is my card:

I used the Billy set from Pink Cat Studio. Such cute, cute images! The owner, Melissa, has even added a fun bonus of being able to name your set. I also used the background plate image of skulls and crossbones. This card is 4.25" square. The first layer is 1/4" smaller of Basic Grey stamped with the skulls and crossbones in Craft Whisper White ink. The next layer is the map image stamped in VersaMark and embossed with black ep. Next we have Captain Mayhem! He is matted on Real Red and colored with a mixture of things. I only have a couple of Copics, so I used the Skin White E00 and Cool Gray C3 to do an outline. Black is a Marvy Uchida marker and the red, gold and silver are Fiskars gel pens. Then I used my blender pen with various SU! colors to color his hair, money bag and little dots for his cheeks. The tag is cut out with the Slider dies in my Cuttlebug. That Cuttlebug is absolutely the best stamping purchase that I have made! I stamped the Yo Ho Yo Ho image in black and colored in the skull and crossbones with a Fiskars white gel pen. I finished the inside of the card too. I matted a piece of white on the inside, sponged the edges with Going Grey, stamped the sentiment from CC Designs It's My Birthday set and the little dog from the Billy set in the corner. He is colored with those Fiskars gel pens also. Lastly, I drew some little lines around his tail to make it look like it's wagging. Hope you like it! Thanks for looking! :o) lyss

4 comments:

Katharina Frei said...

Wow, a fabulous prate card Alyssa. Love the idea with the cb die. And thank you for adding the WoJ banner :)
Katharina

misstreez said...

Hi Alyssa from the land Down Under. I've just read thru your blog and I'm inspired by everything here. The cards, photograghy, your writing. You've brightened my day!!! Keep up the fantastic work.

MacKenzie said...

Wow! Lovin this pirate card - great job! And, congrats on making Kristina's top 10

Kimberly said...

What a fantastic card! WOW!!!! LOVE what you did with the stamps!!!!! Congrats on the Kristina Werner pick too! :)