Thursday, June 26, 2008

My Dad's Day Card

Michelle Zindorf is so inspiring and wonderfully creative. She is also very talented and sweet to take the time to share all of her creations with step-by-step tutorials of how to create amazing cards with your brayers - a tool a lot of stampers forget I think.


This card is my first attempt at creating a sunset themed card. It turned out okay; there are some things that I would do differently. I chose to use glossy card stock - so not necessary. I chose to emboss my image - again, not necessary since it is just a black image. It also created an area that doesn't see ink without sponging (see the white areas around the image?). When applying the different colors, I came up with a line between the different colors. I cleaned my brayer and went over the whole thing again to blend the colors but I ended up with more Pumpkin Pie along the base than I would have liked. Next time, I think I will blend from the bottom to the top and clean my brayer in between swipes.


Have any of you tried this technique? Post a link in the comments! I'd like to see what others have done and what other tips you may have for this beginner! :o)


I also finished the inside of the card. I matted a piece of So Saffron inside and used the same branch image to stamp a little frame across the base and slightly up the sides, then sponged around the entire edge. I, personally, took this idea from Denise, aka Peanutbee. I realize that many stampers do this, but she was the first to make me take notice because she always posts a pic of the inside of her cards and it's such a wonderful finishing touch! Of course, I forgot to take a pic of it before I wrote in it! Doh!


Thanks for looking! Hope you all have a fantastic day! ~lyss


Stamps: Artfully Asian, Brushstroke Alphabet


Colors: Basic Black, So Saffron, Pumpkin Pie, Really Rust

2 comments:

Michelle Zindorf said...

Fabulous card! I love the embossing. It gives cards such a rich look.
Try brayering lighter color from the bottom of the card stock and darker color from the top. Experiment :)
Hugs,
Michelle Zindorf

Christina Fischer said...

So pretty! The black images just pop against that background! :)